Attic ventilation by roof venting is a year-round strategy for protecting your Cincinnati home. Roof venting helps to control heat buildup in the summer months and moisture buildup in the winter months. Attic ventilation is also a good defense against winter ice dams which can be very damaging to your property.
When cold weather arrives, ventilation will maintain a cold roof temperature which helps to prevent ice dams caused by melting snow. Additionally, vents help to remove moisture that reaches the attic from the living space. Scientists have determined that the average family of four creates 2 to 4 gallons of water vapor a day. Attic ventilation helps to remove this water vapor before it causes damage to the home. This vapor can rot wood sheathing and cause mold to grow.
The Science of Roof Ventilation
Installing roofing vents is a science, and only an experienced professional roofer is capable of designing a ventilation system that is balanced. A balanced system is one that has the right combination of intake vents and exhaust vents. This system will be effective and efficient. A balanced system helps to remove moisture so that it will not build up causing costly damage. Our experts will install a balanced ventilation system on your roof. Our system will be based on a complete analysis of your attic and roof structure. The International Residential provides specifications for installing roofing vents in every climate and for every type of roof. We will apply this science to your home.
Roof Vent Options
Several types of roofing vents are available and each have a unique function. The type of vent that is best for your home would be selected from the following:
- The Ridge Vent is part of your home’s roofing system. It is installed at the roof’s peak.
- Soffit Vents are used in combination with the Ridge Vent.
- Static Vents are usually installed near the roof ridge. These are also known as box vents. They do not have moving parts.
- Wind Turbines have parts that are moved by wind.
- Power Vents have motors that power large fans.
- Cupola Vents sit on a high spot over a roof opening.
- Louver Vents are small cylindrical vents installed on or near the roof peak.
- Louver 750 Vents are available in copper and aluminum with three sides louvered.
It should be noted that a professional roofer should select the vents that are appropriate for the needs of your home. We will select the vents that create a balanced system and one that will protect your home and make it more comfortable. For more information, call us today!